Friday 14 March 2008

6 days to go...

It's all very (worryingly?) quiet on the Amazonian front. In the meantime, I have been working on my second book, and having, well, I wouldn’t describe it as writers’ block, but I had some problems to solve with pace, which hopefully I have solved.


Here is the novel…cute, or what? (I have used some Photoshop filter to make it look arty and blur the plot as a) it might still change completely and b) I wouldn’t want some hot shot Hollywood director nicking my marvellous story and turning it into a movie starring Keira Knightley, would I?)

I have, Blue Peter style, taped two pieces of A4 paper together for my storyboard. The pink notes are the love story. The green notes are the sub-plot (which actually dovetails very closely with the love story). The dark orange notes are significant flashbacks, and the lighter orange bits at the bottom are ongoing thoughts about locations and themes and imagery – well, imagery sounds a bit pretentious but my heroine in this case has a feeling that in life she’s always an understudy, so I want to remind myself of this as I go along.

The Bride Hunter seemed to flow when I was writing it: I had a slight wobble re: what happened in the middle, but it really did work well. I guess I was hoping it would be the same with every book I wrote, but alas this new one is trickier. I am hoping this is because I’m learning…and yesterday I had the breakthrough thanks to a friend of mine who suggested changing the order of the book and, bingo, I feel I’m back on track. I now begin with a flashback/prologue, which isn’t always the best idea but here I can see it working. My heroine does some quite odd things in ‘real time’ and the flashback should help to explain why she’s doing them so that the reader doesn’t completely go off her.


Oh, and this is the stuff that hasn’t made it into the director’s cut. In my bin, alongside the new brand of Frusli bar I found in the supermarket the other day: Orange and Cocoa Nib. Yum. This played a very important part in the process, I can tell you.

So there we have it. plotting in action.
Lots of love,
Amy

9 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

Oh how fabulous! I keep meaning to get a bit more organised with plot and structure for my novel, but I'm starting to think I just don't have a very organised mind!

Anonymous said...

Amy, can't find your email address anywhere. Wondering if you can get in touch with steph@chicklitclub.com.

Anonymous said...

I'm busy making a story board and it's so much fun!!

mad muthas said...

hi - bought your book in waterstones and can't wait to get going on it! x

Jane Henry said...

Ooh. I like it. I don't think i'd ever find a plot under so many sticky labels though!!

Amy Appleton said...

Helen - it's the first time I've done it this way, but it was fun, like being in playschool.

Steph, am about to email you.

Sally - what are you using for yours?

MM, you're my heroine, wooo!

Jane - I must admit I am now looking at some of my Post-its and wondering quite what I meant...

Michelle said...

Very colourful plotting! :-D

Anonymous said...

Erm, I tried to buy a white board (a small one) but couldn't find one! So now I have a small pin board, where I'm using post-its and lots of colourful card!!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, it was a great read! On the subject of sticky labels a while back i found a british labels company who printed me some sticky labels for a really low price. If interested then it may be worth taking a look at their website as they did many types of label printing.